Who woulda thought I’d ever walk the Great Wall? I definitely didn’t but yet there I was! It was seriously so cool! We went to an area that isn’t open to the public through our Great Wall guide Ben. It took us about two hours to drive there and then we had to hike up to the Wall which I wasn’t expecting but it made sense. We climbed up a rickety old ladder to get onto the Great Wall and then started our hike on it!
The Great Wall is said to be 4,000 miles long so of course we didn’t walk the entire thing haha but we were up there for a good two or three hours. Many of the pictures you see of the Great Wall are nothing like the area we were on. There were areas we were climbing UP the wall…no, not on, but up. Other areas we would climb down into tunnels to get to the next part. It was so crazy and awesome! The pictures really do speak louder but unfortunately it can be really hard to get pics onto my blog here but I will try!
We had a blast though, it wasn’t anywhere near as cold as the day before so it was great. We bought food at a grocery store on the way there and then had our lunch on the Great Wall. After lunch you’ll never guess what we did…again…haha Hoedown Throwdown! We’re in the process of putting a video together, hence the dancing in various places. I’m sure it’s going to turn out great.
After we got to the end of our area of the wall we hiked back down the mountain where the vans were picking us up. It was a slippery hike with all the snow, many people took a number of falls, especially Kim haha. Don’t worry she wasn’t hurt or else I wouldn’t laugh. I did slip once and it was a good one! Flat on my butt! Those moments always make you feel so good about yourself haha, but no one actually saw it cuz I was in the back of the group I was walking with and apparently I fall quite quietly!
We FROZE the entire ride home in our vans. Kim and Emily were in a van with heat but ours definitely did not have any. Our toes were numb the entire time even though we had three pairs of socks on. Gen and I were huddled together for the last hour of the ride just trying to keep warm. It was pretty miserable but Christy and Sierra were cracking jokes behind us which kept us pretty side tracked. Emily H. was laughing her head off the whole time.
We went on a hunt for a hot chocolate place that night that someone told us about. It was supposedly going to be 100 flavors and really cheap so we were really excited. There were 12 of us from our group going so we got in three separate taxis and then walked around til we found it. It wasn’t 100 flavors and it definitely wasn’t cheap haha. No one really ended up getting anything but we did enjoy the warmth and a couple of the little pastries and a few sips of hot cocoa.
It was a fun day seeing the Great Wall and one that I will hopefully never forget!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment