One of the items on our bucket list here in China was to venture to a meat market. One of our friends Sara from the group that lives up the street told us there is one not too far away that they went to not long ago. Well, we went to it! Never been so grossed out in my life and I'm pretty sure that is not an exaggeration.
I have to say my tolerance for disgusting stuff has definitely gone up while living in China but wow. Nasty stuff. I'm sure I saw almost ever part of the animal imaginable. There were full fledged faces-bones, meat, eyes, and teeth sitting on one of the counters. Another table had an entire lamb skinned lying there...the entire thing. There were strings hung up above each of the table with all the different pieces of meat/body parts to buy.
We then went back to the fish section. I don't like fish in the first place so I'm sure you understand how gross that was for me with even just the smell. I saw a lady holding a fish that was still squirming in her hand slice it's body in half. I swear it was still moving through most of the procedure so it felt all of that. There were tons of little sea creatures like crabs, turtles, squid, you name it.
There was also another section of the market where all the live birds are. You choose which one you want and then they kill it for you so you can take it home.
Now don't get me wrong, I know this is how it works and everything...but it's another to see it and have it be a market that everyone shops at. It was quite the site for my stomach to handle but don't worry, I didn't add to the slipperiness of the floor if you know what I mean.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I saw the pics of the scorpions and cockroaches on a stick. Maybe you should just stick to the fruit market from now on Hil!
ReplyDelete