This weekend has been quite the eventful one! I was thinking that Halloween was going to be so boring and lame compared to being in the US for it but boy, was I wrong.
It started off Thursday in class because my kids don't have class with us on Fridays. So all of us teachers were wearing our costumes, I myself was a stylin' pirate. We had class, which actually ended up being a little more insane than it should have been...it was also Parents Day! So a bunch of parents were sitting in the back of the classroom evaluating our teaching even though most of them probably don't know much English themselves. Well, Gen and I had the kids sing some songs for them and then do their dance because their Chinese Teacher, Leah, told us to. We then split into our separate classrooms and did a Halloween word search. My kids did a great job with it and were talking up a storm just like they should. Hopefully their parents were impressed but I'm not sure because I don't speak Chinese so I didn't even talk to them! For the last 15 minutes we took them around to all the other classrooms for trick or treating and oh, were they excited for that. They LOVED getting a bunch of candy! We had fun even with the parents making me nervous in the back of the classroom.
The next day was spent in the kindergarten decorating from lunch until dinner. We hung up decorations our 2nd graders had made from our classrooms upstairs, painted haunted houses on the mirrors, hung our hilarious tombstones, made a huge spider, and made a haunted house for everyone to go through. It took forever and everyone was exhausted but it turned out awesome. When all the guests arrived we started off the party like the Chinese like to with of course...a performance! We did the "Hannah Montana Hoedown Throwdown" and the ILP kindergarten kids did their "Ghostbusters" and "Disturbia" dances. After everyone showed off their costumes on the red carpet they trick or treated to us through the front doors and trampled into the haunted house with the lights on and without us there to escort them through it! It was pretty hilarious because we had to make them all leave so we could turn off the lights, resituate everything, and get in our hiding places to scare them. The haunted house ended up being a success though and we scared adults and kids all around.
The next day we had to be at the Bond Kindergarten at 10:30, which is the school some ILP teachers that live up the street from us teach at. We had our Kung Fu lessons which were awesome besides the fact that it was Halloween and I was almost dying from heat exhaustion it was so hot outside. I mean come on, Halloween...it's usually impossible to not bundle up because it's so cold. Well that is not the case in southern China on Halloween! You can be sure about that. It was noon while we were having our practice outside and I was seriously dying of the heat. Mind you, I was in my awesome new Kung Fu outfit that added to the heat, but still!
After that we decorated the entire day making the dance room a haunted house which was much more elaborate than ours since they would be having a lot more people attending. The party began the same way as the night before with a performance in which we did the "Hoedown Throwdown" yet again. Lets just say we can't get enough of Hannah Montana! Then we had trick or treating around the building in various classrooms. Emily P., Christy, and I were supposed to be helping conduct the store to give out prizes but the Chinese teachers had it all taken care of and didn't speak any English so we got to go help out in the haunted house. It was a blast scaring everyone. By the end I was lying on the floor under the dance bar 15 ft. after the entrance with a cloak draped over my legs so I was really hidden. I popped out and scared so many people! It was awesome hahaha. We had fun. Their party even had cake and cookies at the end which was a treat after a long day of being at the school decorating.
It ended up being a weekend to remember. Since one was at Bond and the other was for the kindergarten kids of our school I only ended up seeing two of my 2nd graders. But, I wasn't expecting to see any of them so it was a treat to see them. They are so adorable. I love my kids and all the kindergarten kids I know and teach ELE classes for! One of my kids was there because her mom is the kindergarten principal and the other has a little sister in the class Em, Sierra, and Aimee teach so it was fun to find that out. I got the most adorable picture with Emmy trying to get her to smile for the camera. She didn't want to take a picture but then she made it up to me the next night at the Bond party by asking me to get a pic with her and her mom. Only problem was I didn't have a camera on me at the time! It's okay though, I still love that little girl!! :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment